Friday, December 16, 2011

Share And Voice - Slow Food Lake Superior and Slow Food USA

I wanted to share information about Slow Food Lake Superior and Slow Food USA




I first became aware of this group and movement at UMD a few years ago when one of the leaders spoke about them and what they do.

Slow Food Lake Superior is a local chapter of the national chapter of Slow Foodd USA. Which is a smaller chapter of Slow Food, which is International.

There is so much great information contained on these sites.  The local chapter is going through some changes with their website so it isn't fully complete.

Slow Food's goals are around helping people ask questions, find answers, explore and understand their food and where it comes from as well as encouraging the benefits of eating locally and so much more.  If you are totally unaware or versed in organics and best growing practices, you are welcome here and will find nuggets of knowledge.

Joining slow foods helps the movement and also gets you access to more information and discounts on events they and others hold.  I don't recall what the cost is for the first year, but they sometimes have renewal offers on a, give what you can, bases to get and keep members coming back, being a part of what they have to offer and learning new things to integrate in your life.

They served a WONDERFUL local meal a few years ago at the Energy Fair at Bay Front Park. I learned then that Ratatoulille really WAS a yummy tasting soup, not just a Disney Flick.


Some interesting articles you will find on these sites...

Making it easier to feed our kids fruit than Froot Loops

The Versatility of Chocolate                     

An article from Italy 


You can email them and asked to be added to their events list at this address - 
slowfoodlakesuperior@gmail.com

Check them out if you get a chance. 













5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Judy. There website was full of great information, even though the local chapter is going through some 'maintenance". What caught my eye is that they were founded in 1989 to counter the rise of fast food. I think of fast food as a more recent dilemma but it goes back to even before I was born. I think it is great that there are groups who are taking action. Something I want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the chocolate article. The line (and I paraphrase) "no flower no fruit no cacao" reminded me that we need to grow things if we are to keep certain foods such as chocolate around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley, It is great that you want to be a part of changing the fast food culture we have. It is kinda crazy! I LOVE the convenience, but it seems we are really paying for it. It will be a challenge to change the paridiagm many of us have adopted. It's designed to make us love it! :)

    Sarra, I agree. I would love to see more plants that were functional. I met a person who was working on making some of the trees in a particular area more fruit based. The challenge that they were facing was the concern about animals in the area eating that food from the trees and the ground. Not so much the small animals, I guess, but the larger deer and such. Hope they can figure it out. Your right... if we don't plant more food, we get less food. :) I know the bees are already suffering in places where they have no where to pollinate. So much to learn, think about and figure out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Joel didn't say that... JUDY did, but for some reason signing out of his email and into mine didn't take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of Slow Food before, and am really happy you blogged about it! I agree that Ratatoulille is delicious!

    ReplyDelete