Sunday, October 30, 2011

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

Exploring the concepts of junk...
Definitions and resources for various junking terms in or near Duluth, MN



  • resale shop
    Definition - "A retail establishment run by a charitable organization to raise money."
    By reselling which is defined as "the act of selling something second hand"
    Savers
    1740 Mall Drive
    Duluth, MN 55811
    218-722-1894
    Web link http://www.savers.com/Default.aspx


    What do the terms above have to do with environmental health? Anytime we can re use something that has been used and is unwanted or unneeded by someone else we are voting with our dollars in a different way than by demanding something new. We save on land fills and the need for the earth to have to attempt to break something down.  We also save on the fuel to bring that thing to the landfill.  We also may inspire others and have them doing the same thing and saving the environment in this way as well.

    Identify whether you do any or use any of these things. Why or why not?
    I haven not used these resources as much as I would like to here in Duluth. Many of them are not all that easy to get to on my bus line. I have gone to Savers a few times but didn't find what I was looking for.  I am reminded that Rag Stock is easy to get to and will make a point to go check them out when I'm down town next time.

    I have shopped at a few used book stores here in Duluth. I love to go browsing and see what I can find.

    Flea markets are always dangerous for me. I can always find cool stuff to buy... usually more superfluous than useful, however, sometimes I'd find very inspiring ideas too. I'm interested to see that there is one here in Duluth. I'll have to keep an eye out next August.

    When I lived in the cities I did utilize Goodwill more; both for buying and donating.

    I should make a list of projects I'd like to do or things I could use, put it in my wallet and then, when I do go shopping in various places, I can remind myself of what I want to do and maybe look with a more creative and broad eye for deals and ideas.

    One thing that does tend to turn me off when I go to some places like Goodwill is that things are really dusty and grimy.  I know that one can just go home and clean stuff up most of the time, but I sometimes I just have a hard time getting past that in the store.

    I love the idea, however, of finding that perfect thing that I can make use of that someone else no longer needs or wants. It feels good... like I'm saving something from a sad fate of possible destruction. 
Cool stuff from Junk Style Market

The first one that I like is called Back Entrance Project




I find it inspiring for a few reasons.
1. It looks really nice. Not only the frame style but I like the pattern on the silk.
2. I sometimes pick up things that are not meant to be pictures or art, but I love them!  I want to make them pictures but don't always know how.  This is a great idea for me to remember.  I like pictures around that have meaning to me. I need to put this idea into practice!
3. She said it sparkles and shimmers.... SOLD!






Table Bench

I like this one because I think it was very clever. It sounds like it was a regular sized table that was cut to make a bench or even more of an end table.  I love making things that are really useful. I like having more places to either sit or set things down when you need it.  I also love that the extra wood became part of the decoration around it.   If it was mine, I might put it in an entry way, put hooks on the wood pieces, hang that above it and use them for coat hooks.




Record players as art.

OK, this is just freaking AWESOME!

My childhood revolved around records and music.

I'm holding on to a few record players... with the hopes of using them to put some of my old records on CD. Once that project is done however! How fun for a rec room or, in my case, my living room!  These would make SWEET Christmas gifts for my family. I may have to get some more!

Side note... I was in Syracuse NY this summer and they had a restaurant called  Funk 'n Waffles.
Here are pictures I took of their logo. that project above made me think of that right away.












Awesome to see so much creativity. I never think of myself having the skills to make the changes to turn some of the things into super cool useful or pretty things. .  I think I need to experiment.







1 comment:

  1. I spent a good portion of my summer converting my records into MP3's. If I ever come across a turntable that is beyond repair, I would definitely consider turning it into a wall piece.

    ReplyDelete