Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 3: Weekly Update

My goal was to eat commit to one local meal a week.  I did achieve my one meal and more.  I did have one local meal. The only part that was not local was the balsamic vinaigrette I used for dressing on my salad, the salt, pepper and basil spices.  Last week we had fresh local basil but were out of it.

The challenges were thinking ahead to have a local dressing or maybe put some other local something on the salad that would have substituted. Also, the salt and pepper got used without thinking about it.  We could have used some additional veggies to take the place of that perhaps?

Getting the food was pretty easy. However, this week the farmers market didn't have any meat so we had to buy our local meat from Whole Foods instead. Still local.  We had chicken soup last week and I was hoping to get some mutton/goat meat.

Here is our meal!


Yup, even the water is local! 
It's even possible that the water glass, aka old spaghetti sauce jar, came from a local source as well. 

The salad are greens that Joel grew in his apartment 6 blocks away in his hydroponics system. 

We didn't get too creative this week on our meal from last week, but last weeks was SO GOOD!  This week wasn't quite as flavorful. Perhaps because the chicken was a little but more plump?

Here are the recipes... 

The first soup 
Potato and Leek Chicken Soup

1) Make Chicken Broth.  (I will include this process recipe in a later post)

2) Add Vegetables, etc.

Ingredients:
4 Leeks
1 Onion
6 Potatoes
1/2 cup rutabaga
1 cup carrot
1 tablespoon Ginger
1 cup fresh basil
Salt and Pepper to taste (approx 4 tablespoons salt, suggestion)

3) Simmer on low for at least 1 hour


The soup pictured above

Chicken and Turnips

1) Make Chicken Broth

2)  Add Vegetables, etc (and extra chicken, if wanted)

Ingredients:
Approx 6 quart pot
1 Large Turnip - (2 cups)
4 medium Potatoes
2 cups Carrot - cut in medium to small pieces
3 leeks
1 Onion
Salt and Pepper to taste (approx 4 tablespoons salt, suggestion)
Pinch of Basil

3) Simmer on low for at least 1 hour


This was my main, local meal focus.  We had left overs so I have been eating soup at other meals.  I also got various other veggies that I have been having for other meals and snacks too like purple potatoes, red pepper, kohlrabi, apples, broccoli, and red pepper.  

It has been fun to integrate more foods in more meals. It feels good. And, it tastes fantastic!  

I will continue with my goal as is. Not that I don't want to engage in new challenges but I have a lot going on the next few weeks, I don't want to over stress by trying to add additional local required meals, and I want to just let this be more of a new habit that is settling in. 





6 comments:

  1. Judy, thanks for sharing the recipes. As the cool weather sets in, soup sounds so delicious! I love how you just slip in there that Joel has a hydroponics system. Now that sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. You said the meal wasn't very flavorful, but it sure looks and sounds delicious! I got a kick out of reading that you got your lettuce from 6 blocks away. Now that is local :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hydroponics is pretty cool. Joel is wanting to experiment with more types of veggies or herbs. I'll get a picture of his plethora of lettuce. :)

    The soups were both good. The meat was still flavorful, and as it has sat a few days, the flavor has gotten event better. IT was just the first soup was like the best chicken soup I had ever had, anything would pale in comparison! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Your goal sounds so healthy and fun to try! Thanks for posting a picture. Did you create these recipes on your own? I would love to know if the local food you have been using tastes better/different than say regular vegetables from the grocery store. Farmers markets are probably your new best friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farmers markets DO rock my world!

    As far as the recipes... Those were actually written down by my husband. So, they are pretty on but kinda estimates a little. Neither of us use recipes much... kinda throw stuff together and see what works. He, however, is extremely gifted at being able to throw food together and have it be good almost every time. So, for these we just kinda took the root veggies that sounded good and threw them in.

    They foods tasted fresher to me than the grocery store. Some just plain better. Tomatoes seem to be much better almost ALL the time. I feel like I'm getting better food... like more FROM my food. Could be psychosomatic but I'm not fully convinced it is.

    I know this is NOT a local food, but it came to mind. Try a wal-mart banana beside an organic one. I've discovered how GOOD bananas can taste. For some reason I have found Wal-mart to be particularly and consistantly bad... NO idea what they are doing with them there???

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture of your meal looks so delicious! Thanks for the recipes, will have to try them out some time! Glad to see you are supporting the local farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete